Does Grecian Formula Really Work?

Does Grecian Formula Really Work?
2.1 (41.32%) 1621 votes

Does Grecian Formula really work?Fighting the effects of aging has become a new found passion of many Americans as it is common belief that the younger that a person looks, the more successful and powerful the image is and Grecian Formula is one substance that can reintroduce youthful looks to all men.

Overview
Grecian Formula was first introduced in 1961. The product was developed in New York specifically to return the user’s natural hair color back from the elderly signs of grey and white hair. It is now sold in over 30 countries from all around the world and is distributed in three separate products which are all easy to apply and maintain.

The Claim
Grecian Formula tells the user that it will restore the natural color of their hair in a natural and gradual way so that they do not suddenly have a big change to their hair color which can make them feel a little embarrassed when they are challenged about it. They also tell us that this product will work on any hair color and will restore the hair to a more natural looking shade.

The company however, does manage the user’s expectations with their claims by saying that the user will not see an immediate effect unless the hair is fully grey in a large number of places. Those that are fully grey with a full head of hair will see the results most quickly and those with areas of grey will begin to see the effects working on the right areas within two or three applications.

The Hype
The selling point of this product is laid out clearly and concisely. It will transform your aging grey hair back to its former self naturally and gradually. Men do not tend to like admitting to using hair coloring products in general and so for this product to act in the way that is does is a huge bonus for many. There is of course the other option of simply dying your hair straight back to the color that it once was but the drastic change could look a little silly and will provoke a lot of awkward questions.

The Cost
One treatment of the Grecian Formula liquid which is the most popular treatment in the line costs a retail price of $24.95. The other two products in the range are the Grecian Cream which is priced at $8.95 and Grecian Plus which is usually priced at around $30.

The Commitment
The Grecian Formula is easy to apply to the hair and can be done in seconds every day before you leave the house or indeed before you go to sleep. It is simply applied to the hair using the easy application tube and then a comb is used to brush the product through.

For best results, Grecian recommends that you use all three of their products simultaneously as each one has a slightly different role. The main product is the Grecian Liquid Formula which is sold in a box that is intended to last for a month.

Evaluation
As is the case with most products that offer medical treatments such as this, Grecian have introduced two sister products to compliment the main show. They tell us that the Grecian Liquid will repair all color to the root of the hair follicles that has been lost with age. Grecian Cream is a product that is applied when the individual washes and will improve the condition of the hair and help with the intake of the liquid. Grecian Plus is a foam product that is meant for the purpose of thickening hair and keeping the hair in the best condition.

Does Grecian Formula Really Work?

From the people that have used Grecian Formula, the general consensus is one of general happiness and content in the product. The company admits themselves that this product will not completely cure your graying hair after a single application but that is also not the point of this product. A natural gradual process is what the majority of men are seeking and so the Grecian Formula does work.

Our Recommendation
It is our strong view that this product is one of the finest in the market for male hair treatment and as such is strongly recommended to those individuals that are worried that their hair will soon be full of grey. The price is reasonable and maintenance is also easy to manage. This product is a winner and should definitely be considered as one of the top hair care treatments for men.

Buy Grecian Formula from Amazon.

What Do You Think? Does Grecian Formula Really Work?

Does Grecian Formula Really Work?
2.1 (41.32%) 1621 votes

{ 104 comments… read them below or add one }

eugene November 23, 2011 at 2:51 pm

“Fighting the effects of aging has become a new found passion of many Americans”. Americans should fight more against obesity. Aging is something natural…

Dan August 2, 2016 at 5:33 pm

Oh wow… you’re so honest and level headed. Don’t come here teaching lessons.

Locomojo August 14, 2016 at 4:59 pm

Thank you for your irrelevant and patronising comment, I am not American, so I don’t give a shit

Eddie Morrison January 29, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Grecian 200 is not the answer to colour restoration,the process is over a gradual period of time,grecian giving the reasons as a natural slow return to colour,i have used it for over two months with very little colour change to grey areas whereas my natural black hair has slightly darkened merely highlighting my grey even more.It should also be noted when shampooing hair the rinse water is black as the grecian formula is washed out,bringing to mind the “money down the drain adage”.Do not buy,try some other product,even an instant dye,grecian score 1/10,very poor.

Shawn November 5, 2017 at 7:43 am

I’m a bit confused. The Grecian formula your using has color? The formula I use is clear, but still doesn’t work well.

Fred Jackmovich November 20, 2017 at 4:44 am

They have changed the formula. If you look at the bottom of the container and there is a yellowish sediment on the bottom it is the old formula and it works. I have been using it for 15 years and when I started I was completely gray now no gray. The new formula does not work nearly as well if at all.

Chuck November 28, 2017 at 10:20 pm

@ Fred — that’s my conclusion, too. The old formula was much more effective than the new formula. The old formula had lead acetate. I think its removal from the product is what makes the new ‘formula’ less effective (or ineffective).

Thomas M Erich January 8, 2018 at 6:35 pm

I agree same results does not work and besides leaves stains on my bed pillow. Tom

Dan December 16, 2017 at 7:59 pm

I agree 100 percent, Fred. As a matter of fact, I came online just to see if others had the same experience I did. I have been using Grecian Formula for years just to maintain some color. This new formula (2017) is completely ineffective. The older version, that appeared to have, as described above, a yellowish sediment, worked much better. I could recommend the older version. This new version seems not to work at all, so is totally worthless, in my opinion.

al December 20, 2017 at 5:00 pm

I’m on the same page as everyone else – the recent change rendered the product basically useless. I hope the makers of it have a plan B because sales will drop quickly.

Jim B December 26, 2017 at 7:27 pm

I agree also. I have been using Grecian for 30+ years with success. I noticed the difference with the new formula that it appears not to work. Any ideas what else works?

Jim December 27, 2017 at 4:55 pm

I agree with the above comments. I called the offices of Combe, Inc.(800-431-2610) yesterday to complain about the new formula. I was told that they sell this all over the world and changed the formula to match the rest of the world. Here is a link about the ingredients in the old formula of Grecian,
Also, Combe Inc. makes Just for Men and all of the other hair coloring products for men. I think we are screwed!

Jim S January 8, 2018 at 6:30 pm

I was afraid of this. I noticed the yellow sediment missing from a bottle I bought last month and was afraid that was the active ingredient so I returned the bottle, only to discover that none of them have the yellow stuff in them. I’ve used it for years and had good results. I guess we ARE screwed. Damn.

Jon B January 29, 2018 at 11:09 am

I too came online to see if others have been experiencing the ineffective new formula. Guess I’m glad to see that I’m not the only one. Would be happier if the new formula still worked.
Typically, when a company changes the formula for a product, they re-label the packaging with some indicator such as “New Formula” or something to let the consumer know. Been giving this “new formula” a try for less than a month, and I can see why they didn’t announce the formula change. It just doesn’t work.
Hopefully, someone at the company reads these posts and understands that their consumers are unhappy. They should go back to the old formula with the lead acetate. If there’s an issue with the fact that their product contains “lead acetate”, they could put a warning label on the package, sell both product formulas, and let the consumer decide which they want to use.

Trace February 10, 2018 at 11:37 pm

There’s a lead-acetate containing alternative, guys: Youthair, which you can find at Amazon.com.

James Fazakas February 16, 2018 at 12:14 am

You are definitely correct. I’ve been using the clear Grecian formula for over 20 years with great results BUT recently I’ve noticed it isn’t working as it did in the past.
They must have changed the formula and it sucks compared to the old formula.
It is sticky and smells really bad and I don’t get the results as I did in the past.
Whatever they did it reminds me when Coke came out with NEW coke and it was terrible.
I went to 3 different stores in hope of getting the old version with NO luck. I wish they would go back to the old one again.
Jim

Jennifer Anderson March 17, 2018 at 11:10 pm

I have used Grecians formulas for 25 years and loved it until they changed the formula. They added conditioner and it’s greasy and stinks terrible. It doesn’t work at all well now and I refuse to waste my money buying it. I now am coloring my hair and very happy with the results of that. Don’t waste you time and money with a product that doesn’t work!

Keith May 11, 2018 at 4:11 pm

I agree doesn’t work as good as the old Formula and it Stained my pillow Won’t waste my money on it again.

Michael August 27, 2018 at 3:43 am

Eddy:
I was susceptible at first, so I tried the product while my wife was on a two week vacation. I noticed a slight change as the days passed, taking photos every two days. When my wife returned, (Day 14) she didn’t make an initial comment about my hair. But when I told her about my test and showed her the photos, she was amazed a how well it worked. Now I use it every two to three days. I am 100% happy. The product worked as advertised.

marty February 12, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I’ve been using Grecian Formula (liquid) for over 20 years and found that simply using it as hair tonic after my daily shampoo worked best IF:

I did not look for results the next day or the day after, etc. – simply started using it and willing to see what the result was over time. By about 3 weeks later, I could see noticeable lessening of grey and my hair looked much more like it used to.

As a test, I asked a female colleague one day (who has known me for years and saw me almost daily)-“Do you notice anything different about me”? She looked, scanned my face and a glance at the rest of me and said, “Have you lost some weight”?

Over the years, I have many times gotten the comment “You don’t look that old” when telling my age.

So, for me Grecian Liquid has been a good deal…and a side benefit for me also- it’s a good hair tonic and leaves my hair feeling like a good conditioner does, soft and full. (I do have fine, thin hair and not sure if this affects it)

So, guys- try it- start using it and wait a few weeks and see if you see a difference then- you won’t notice it day by day.

Mark March 21, 2013 at 1:07 pm

I’ve been using this product for twenty years and it works just as they said, over time. It been worth the twenty year wait, but now I have no teeth.

burt September 4, 2015 at 4:16 pm

funny guy! x

Beautiful Nicole March 25, 2013 at 6:05 pm

I always wondered what was the best thing to get the dye off my face after I dyed my hair. I have tried baby oil,hydrogen peroxide,alcohol, and others. The stuff that got it off of my face BETTER than hydrogen peroxide was SHAVING CREAM!! Oh my gosh I just saw my husband’s shaving cream on the bathroom counter and said what the heck let my try this since it will take the paint off of a car lol. To my surprise it worked so well and the dye came right off. Anyhow you can get some for $1 at the dollar tree. Dab it on a paper towel and wet the towel. I roll the towel back because the shaving cream likes to expand all over the place. This way it gets rolled up in the paper towel. Then just dab the dyed spots until they come off. They usually come off with the first gentle swipe. Get the shaving gel that is for sensitive skin and see if there is some with aloe vera in it. This way you can be nice to your skin. Hope this helps people with getting hair dye on the skin!

Shawn November 5, 2017 at 7:46 am

Does your hubby have a beard now? LOL

ROBERT SCHUDALLA July 5, 2013 at 2:34 am

Hey, I’m here to tell you that Grecian Formula DOES work. I once read that Ronald Reagan used it and his hair looked NATURAL; not a phony dyed look. Follow the instruction to the “TEE”. Shampoo (mild, like Baby Shampoo). Dry your hair. Shake it well, and apply it to your hair liberally. After it dries on it’s on, then style your hair. It takes about a week to see a difference. Then use it about once or twice a week. DON’T use a strong shampoo like Prell. Believe me, I have no connection to Grecian or the manufacture. I am 68 years young and am not ready to get OLD and GREY. I don’t use it on my temples; I want the “distinguish” look.

JM December 1, 2013 at 11:48 pm

Well, after five bottles, my hair is only marginally darker, so long as I standing in light from traditional incandescent light. When people have taken digital photos using flash, my hair looks as gray as ever. So, my conclusion? It works for some people, perhaps, but not for everyone.

JM

rich m June 1, 2014 at 11:41 am

i use grecian and i love it.works very well. this website is full of shit with the price though…i use the liquid and it does not cost $24….more like $6 or $7. i have not used the cream or foam ( didnt know they existed till now) but it a great product and for what it’s worth i recommend it.

Edmund November 23, 2014 at 12:22 pm

I used the foam and it worked! Within the first few days I saw results. I think that any man that colors his hair looks awkward. My NATURAL hair color is what I wanted and achieved. The package that the can came in showed the gradual 3 week change and it was pretty accurate. I tried the liquid and it didn’t work for me. Down side, during the application period it doesn’t smell very nice. I left it on without washing and my wife couldn’t stand the smell. But my initial 3 week application is over and I am left with my natural hair color with a touch of grey.

randy January 25, 2015 at 4:15 pm

Ive been using grecian formula in liquid form going on 2 weeks. This wednesday will be my second washing of my hair. It does work ive noticed a lot of grey going away mostly in the front. My hair id dark brown and when washing there is no color washing away in tub. Im very happy with the product and will continue to use it. By the way before i started using i got a hair cut. And my hair was about 3/4 grey. Love this stuff.

George Garcia February 20, 2015 at 11:33 am

It doesn’t work at all. After 4 weeks grey or white hairs are still white. DO NOT BUY. This is making some executives rich with their snake oil claims. Somebody needs to sue this company for false advertising.
Seriously folks it simply doesn’t work and I threw away 7 bucks.

roger haaas March 4, 2015 at 6:01 am

I use Grecian, but probably am not using it correctly. I’m told I should be putting it on dry hair? I add water to groom my hair. Would I get better results by soaking my hair with Grecian? Thanks for your reply!

Roger☺

Brian April 7, 2015 at 10:23 am

The instructions in the pack clearly state to apply only to DRY hair. Have you read the rest of them?

Matt March 29, 2016 at 1:57 am

Rodger,
The active ingredient is lead acetate. A potentially dangerous compound. Dry hair is necessary to reduce any absorption into your body. Please for your own health, follow directions

Miguelito March 7, 2015 at 12:22 pm

It definitely works, but it definitely stinks. The best part is that it looks fairly natural.
The instructions seem silly, including don’t wash your hair for a week until you get the color you want. Wearing it to an office seems a good way to annoy people and I would not want to wear it to bead, because I would be afraid it would permeate my pillow.
That said, it does work. I’m a red head, so I go grey early. I put it on on a Saturday morning and leave it for a few hours… Then I take a shower to get rid of the nasty stuff. What I wish I knew was how long I really needed to leave it on to get the full effect. Now hair coloring products (that smell the same) finish their effect in less than 30 minutes, so maybe that is enough, but I don’t know.
Really, I just wanted my hair not to go pure white, which it works for. It really doesn’t look like I am fully grey, though obviously there is some grey. The funny thing is and I can see why, people assume that my natural color is blond.

Troy B March 22, 2015 at 10:05 pm

Started it yesterday. Just now applied 2nd application. Can’t notice ‘overnight’ changes. Regarding comments above……. yes, you are supposed to apply it to ‘dry hair’ and comb it in. Yes, it STINKS of a sulfur smell and can mess up a pillow! No, it is NOWHERE near 20+ dollars. It’s just under $8 at my neighborhood Kroger. Looking forward to checking it out in a month.

Adrian June 26, 2016 at 1:52 pm

Hi Tony,

What’s the result? is it better to use Grecian for natural effect or har dye fast colouring cream?

sami September 4, 2016 at 5:35 am

High price and praise mentioned in the article is a marketing ploy probably written by Co. rep. Once one reads the price in the article $30, and you walk in the store see $6 for a bottle, ready to buy. I tried did not work..bogus product.

Bill April 2, 2015 at 7:52 am

Have used my first bottle exactly as per instructions. I have seen absolutely no difference and feel dirty while it is in my hair. Have waited until dry and still it stained my pillow case.

Brian April 7, 2015 at 10:30 am

I’ve been using the Lotion liquid for a couple of weeks now, and my greying hair is definitely getting darker. It looks even better when I add a little Vaseline Hair Tonic after washing.

My only concern is that an active ingredient of it is a lead compound.

Terry August 26, 2015 at 12:54 pm

I’m a faithful user for about 10 years now. I started with the liquid, but didn’t like the odor. I switched to the foam and am absolutely thrilled with the results. You have to be patient and follow the instructions. It’s an every day thing for the first couple of weeks. After you get to where you want to be it’s only two or three times per week to stay there. Again, people need to stop complaining about not seeing results overnight. It’s not a one-and-done proposition. I have pictures, and a 10 year old driver’s license that show I was almost completely gray 10 years ago. Today I am 59 years old with a my old natural medium brown color, with a little salt thrown in, mostly on the sides. I think the salt & pepper look is appropriate at my age.

MrPolymers September 2, 2016 at 12:30 pm

I agree with Terry here. LOL, my name is Terry too… Anyway, I’m 58 years old and fortunately, have most of my hair although a lot thinner than my Disco Days.
I’ve colored my hair for years. My father, brother also kept their hair, but all of us grayed early.
I’m just into my fourth week of using the foam. My hair color looks much better. The problem with coloring is the hassle and the fact it fades fast for me anyway. The key to this Grecian Formula foam is PATIENCE. I use it as a hair tonic everyday in the morning. The lead acetate.. In principal, lead is not good in your blood chemistry. As a guy who sells polymers for a living and once worked with lead compounds in plastics, the only way to get the lead in the bloodstream is either through inhalation or ingestion. Not likely to be absorbed through the skin unless you have some significant wound. Just use common sense folks.

Gary September 2, 2015 at 3:15 am

I’ve used the liquid following the instructions. Have used it about 6 weeks. First several days, hair got grayer. I has a bad odor. 6 weeks now and I’m back where I was using Men’s Touch of Gray. I am even some grayer. I wonder if the other product that had about washed out had any affect on this working. Its not messy but it stinks and to this point it hasn’t done much.
Where can the foam or cream be purchased? Never seen it on a shelf.

pablo September 4, 2015 at 11:27 pm

who knows what shit is in there.

Daniel Hess October 9, 2015 at 3:37 am

I have used it for over a year now and it does work. Love my Grecian.

will December 6, 2015 at 3:47 am

It does work for me. I’ve been using it for about 3 years with great results. With Grecian Formula is easy to manage the amount of gray you want. I normally keep a little gray and the most wonderful results of all..NOBODY NOTICES ANYTHING ARTIFICIAL ON MY HAIR…I have seen friends of mine who begin using regular hair dye and normally the get the attention of other people and friends normally begin making jokes about their age and the legitimate desire of somebody not to look old and gray. In my country hair dye is normally associated with women and a the few men who dare to use it are always criticized. So Grecian Formula has been a blessing for me in this sense…I definitely look at least 10 years younger according to friends opinions without them knowing I use the Formula.

Toni Scarfone December 17, 2015 at 2:12 am

Let me start by saying that my hair is not grey, it is WHITE. Well the front facing part is anyways.

I’ve now been using Grecian Formula for about a month. Every day I wash by hair in the morning, dry it thoroughly, and then apply the produce liberally. Today I went for a hair cut at my local barber shop. The gentlemen cutting my hair asked where I had been, as my hair appeared WHITER except for a few areas that had a VERY slight yellow tint.

The product DOES NOT WORK.

Toni Scarfone December 17, 2015 at 2:23 am

Second comment, as a followup to the first. This one explains why is works for some and not others. Lead Acetate will colour your hair. It’s also the reason they tell you not to use it on your facial hair.

In the formulation used in the United States, it contains lead(II) acetate. Because lead acetate is banned in cosmetics in Canada and the European Union, the formulations sold there do not contain it.

I live in Canada btw.

Eric January 12, 2016 at 2:19 pm

I’ve used it at different times over the past 5 years and it DEFINITELY works for me. I go from salt and pepper hair to Brown in approximately 2 weeks with no hint of gray hair remaining.

Mo February 27, 2016 at 1:13 pm

I have been using this product from more than 4 weeks and Seriously I have not seen any difference. I use it daily and sometimes twice a day to see the result and I cannot see any difference. Is that me or the product?

Lawrence Hayward March 28, 2016 at 6:26 pm

Grecian Works. However!! A note of caution. :It can cause severe allergic problems such as sores on the scalp. Discontinue use, if this happens.

James Crawford April 20, 2016 at 11:57 am

g-Formula is a metallic salt and does work, but understand that once you use it you can’t use any other kind of color over the top of it it has to be removed first, it is not a dye. Metallic salts work by coating the hair then oxyidizes to make the color, the more layers the deeper the color for best results use till you reach the color you like then discontinue, to keep from getting the shoe polish look untill you need a refresher. It goes bad too so if you have a bottle sitting on your shelf for a year buy a new bottle before resuming.

Feel free to email if you have questions
Cyclesandrocks@yahoo.com
Jim the colorist in Atlanta.

James August 16, 2016 at 9:13 pm

Does Grecian formula work on beards?

Stevet September 25, 2016 at 7:42 am

Grecian does work but…..can’t you do something about the awful smell??

Victor Lang October 10, 2016 at 9:49 pm

Does Grecian formula work on beards, mustaches, and goatees?

Alaur Rahman March 26, 2017 at 7:18 pm

I have used it for 4 weeks and it does not work for me

Colin Schaeffer May 9, 2017 at 8:49 pm

I have used it for many years and it works well. I have found that if I apply to wet hair it is virtually useless. It is very important that your hair is dry. I have also noticed that it will darken considerably in sunlight, even if applied several days earlier.

MARTIN May 16, 2017 at 10:07 pm

No it doesn’t work. You may as well wet your hair daily with cold black tea until it stains to the desired shade!

Adam May 26, 2017 at 11:12 am

I am 47 yrs old man . I used this sh.t flr one month according my hair dresser didnt washed my hair for 3 weeks and it dindt helped me . I bojght 6 bottels . Today I washed my hair and stoped using this shit.

With regards Adam

Cecil Jones December 29, 2017 at 1:02 pm

The formula for GF was changed to remove the lead acetate so it could be sold in Europe. The lead acerate was the active ingedient that most contributed to the change in hair color. You can still find the old formula for the best results. I never used the foam or the gel, but the lead acetate will apoear as a yellow residue at the bottom of the bottle containing the liquid. It must be shaken so that you are getting the proper concentration when using.

I suggest washing your hair at night before bed so that it is dry in the morning and your pillow will not absorb the unplesant smell. NOTE: Do not used a soap or shampoo that leaves any residue (oil, etc.) on the hair as this will prevent the GF from working properly. In the morning apply the GF as directed. I actually use a brush not a comb. I apply to the brush and then work it into hair. It is quite eady to see and feel when an area is completely covered. Then style your hair.

CAUTION: I have just stopped using it as it contains Lead which has been banned in Europe. I recently had a health issue that MAY have been a result of its use. I am still checking it out with my doctor.

It definitely works as my father used something similar called ColorBak which also contained lead acetate. But it must be applied to clean (no oil, conditioner, etc.) dry hair.

Good luck.

Trilby August 14, 2017 at 3:17 pm

I am a woman and hate dying my hair because of damage. But when my natural color hair grew in, I hated how gray I’d become. So, looking for gentle alternatives, I remembered Grecian– the ads from my youth! I have long hair and didn’t want to deal with the liquid so I bought the foam. Considering the amount of hair I’m treating, this first can of foam is lasting a long time. The smell is disgusting, but once it dries (at home!) I add styling products that cover the smell.

So, $64,000 question: Does it work. YES!!! I saw my ex-bf yesterday. He hadn’t seen me since I started using Grecian, and after few minutes he said, “I wish you’d stop coloring your hair.” What an idiot! Anyway, I said “Oh? What color is it?” He said “It looks brown. Actually, it looks nice.” That was my first confirmation that it’s working. Just as the ad promises, the people who see me every day at work don’t notice the change. Not that I would care!

Tom August 14, 2017 at 6:34 pm

HI, this stuff works period! I am 52 was about 80 percent silver. I use this stuff every day it only takes a minute to put in and acts like hair gel. I use the mouse and the liquid I’m so impressed and all my friends are telling me “what ever your using on your hair man, don’t stop, it looks real” unlike when I use to dye it . I have like no gray and my hair is its natural color, thank you so much for this product! I only shampoo my hair once every two weeks, there is no need to wash your hair every day, it just dries it out! I use a mild shampoo with no conditioner in it! I am so impressed with this product I should be there poster man!! I recall my dad and uncle using this product and they had dark hair in their 60’s and 70’s which looked real. I think the key is to use it every day, not much! and use the mouse and liquid.

jp October 16, 2017 at 9:41 pm

I think it does work, as long as you read the instructions carefully (ie.. don’t apply it to beards or ‘other hair’… It can take a while to ‘kick in’ depending on a lot of factors, such as: how grey (or white) your hair is. It seems to be working fairly well for me. Having said that, the smell is truely diabolical. I don’t smoke but I wouldn’t risk getting too close to someone with a lighted cigarette….

I think it’s one of those products that works for some people but not for everyone. Don’t overdo it, though, otherwise you’ll end up looking like Reagan (or even worse) Trump. Wonder if they do a ‘radioactive orange version too?

Jerry Baker Sr October 24, 2017 at 4:19 pm

I have been using it for 30 or more years and I am 73 now and I just love the stuff. I bought a new bottle last Saturday at the Walmart in Laplata Maryland. Just opened it up and it looks like water with not one smiggin of the light yellow pigment at the bottom of the container.What gine’s. Will it still work? The product code on the back is r17h034. Hoping to hear something soon.

Frank November 6, 2017 at 2:28 am

I have been using this product for over 10 years, Over the past 2 months it has stopped working. I called the company and they said the formula has changed. The package does not mention the change in formula.
The CSR asked if my bottle had sediment at the bottom and I said no, she said I have the new formula.
I cannot recommend this product anymore. So sad.

Charles Deibert December 23, 2017 at 9:10 pm

Did you change the formula? The bottle used to have a sediment that, as the directions said, shake thoroughly. There is now no sediment and it does not work but also leaves dark brown patches on my scalp. I purchased another bottle thinking some ingredient was left out. The second bottle is just as bad as the first.

I now rate your product as useless and I wasted a bit of money determining this.

Donald January 3, 2018 at 2:49 am

This new formula DOES NOT WORK! If they refuse to change it back——they will go out of business.

Donald Tyre January 3, 2018 at 2:52 am

The new formula DOES NOT WORK ! They will be out of business soon! I cannot believe they have dine this!

Arnie January 4, 2018 at 4:03 am

The new formula does not work. It turns the skin dark but not the hair. I used the old formula with the yellow substance in the bottom of the bottle for15 years with good secess.

David Rush January 10, 2018 at 5:40 pm

Without the yellow stuff that settles on the bottom of the bottle…IT DOES NOT WORK.

Charles C January 14, 2018 at 8:56 am

The new formula does not work. Very disappointed. Whatever happened to the old days when the government allowed companies to leave certain components in the product and simply put a warning in bold letters on the front? Like the warning on cig packs. Let consumes read the package and decide to buy or not buy.

Brian Morgan January 15, 2018 at 4:37 pm

All I can say is that I totally agree. Used it for years, was best product ever, but it is now useless…. I feared it would be when I got the latest bottle. I had the same results when I first tried the just for men product years ago. It has the same smell and leaves staining on the pillow just like the just for men product. I have a suspicion it’s not a new formulae at all, they have just stopped selling what was the Grecian product and it’s all now the just for men product….

Fulvio Cornuto January 20, 2018 at 11:11 pm

Been using it for over 2 years and worked as good as expected. Bought some in Nov and started seeing skin stain, pillow stain, and ineffective hair tinting and stiffening. Then spotted dark blotches at top of bottle on outside, neve there before. Looked at ingredients vs an okder nearly empty bottle ans sure enough they removed the lead acetate. Does not work well at all. New formulation is terrible. Stopped using it cold, rather gradually go back to gray and white than use this new junk formulation. Sales will drop for sure.

Rev. Charles Kilpatrick January 23, 2018 at 5:17 am

I too, have the same problem! I have been using Grecian Formula for many years and was very satisfied. I purchased 2 new bottles in December 2017 and noticed an alcohol smell and no sediment in the bottom also. The product no longer colors my hair, it leaves nasty color in the pores of my scalp and forehead, leaves puddles of nasty dye in sink and on clothes when I dampen my hair to comb it and washes out when I shampoo. It has also made my head sore from the dye in my hair pores. It is possible that they changed the formula due to the lead acetate and the lead scares.
No Matter!!! This product is now worthless trash that does not work.
Time for everyone to go on Social Media and tell all of your friends that this product is now worthless and not to waste their money on it. My bottles are garbage bound!!!!

Paul January 23, 2018 at 7:23 pm

Bought my latest bottle of GF and three things pop out: No yellow residue, the new smell and most important – it doesn’t work! Please bring the old formula back. The new product is worthless.

Buddy January 30, 2018 at 5:08 am

Noticed a brown streak on my face with this newest bottle. Also a different smell that is not as bad as the original. Will see if it works. Why didn’t the company inform the consumer of the change on the packaging? I have used for over 10 years, don’t know if I will continue.

Ron January 31, 2018 at 10:52 pm

I agree with many of you. The yellowish tint is gone and so is the effectiveness of this product.
I’ve been using Grecian Formula for many years and thought it was great. However, I am now completely unsatisfied with the results. Guess we’ll all have to look elsewhere for something that really works.

W February 10, 2018 at 3:10 pm

Anyone find a replacement that doesn’t burn scalp and skin?

Jon February 16, 2018 at 2:00 am

No it does NOT work when they changed the formula in 2018. I give it a zero and now waste of money

Rich February 24, 2018 at 3:51 am

Pretty much the same story as above. I used GF for years and, except for the smell, it worked ok. Now the old smell is gone but it seems useless. The grey has returned totally. I don’t see stains in the sink or on my head and nothing seems to wash out in the shower. The stuff just does not bring any color back to my hair.

Dan March 5, 2018 at 7:36 pm

If you are looking for a useful review for Grecian Formula 16, you must look only at reviews from late 2017 and 2018. Prior to late 2017, I was very happy with Grecian Formula 16. But since it introduced its new formula in 2017, it is a totally useless product. The new formula for Grecian Formula 16 does not work at all and should be removed from the market. It is irresponsible for Combe Inc. to claim this product does something that it no longer does.

Paul Barrero March 5, 2018 at 9:48 pm

GF changed their formula recently. It DOES NOT work now! It used to have white particles that was in it. That was the good stuff! I wont waste my money on it anymore, I bought 2 bottles of the new stuff, used it as directed for 2 months. My hair started graying quick! Plus it smells to alcoholy! Grecian now sucks! Don’t waste your money!

Paul V March 6, 2018 at 6:12 pm

Since the formula was changed this stuff really SUCKS.It stain your clothes its smells terrible it will stain your skin. it doesnt do the job as advertised. I guess i am going to have to change to a different product

Paul V March 6, 2018 at 6:15 pm

I hate the new formula

Rick March 13, 2018 at 12:57 am

I agree with most of those who commented on the new Grecian Formula. Having used the old version of Grecian Formula for at least 10 years, I was perfectly satisfied with the product. The new formula seems to be totally ineffective. Bring the old formula back please!

R Sokol March 18, 2018 at 6:28 pm

Tell me where I can get the old Grecian formula. The “new formula ” does not work at all. I wasted a lot of money finding this out.

Clarence March 25, 2018 at 11:10 pm

I used it got year but the new formula does not work. Has anyone had their hair turn reddish, is so what did they do get the color back?

Richard George March 26, 2018 at 3:51 pm

Why doesn’t the Combe Corporation listen to it’s product consumers when it comes to returning the previous Grecian Formula to the store shelves? Who in their right mind would continue buying Grecian Formula 16 (Liquid with Conditioner) when it simply doesn’t work? On the front of the GF package, it boasts of gradually restoring lost color to gray hair and works of any color. Both of these claims are false! Don’t waste your money on this product. Maybe a huge drop in sales or investors will finally bring the Combe Corp to its senses!

Kim March 29, 2018 at 11:35 pm

This stuff is junk been using for years does not work well at all washes out when washing hair and when out in hot sun fades back to gray

Jim April 16, 2018 at 5:23 pm

The new stuff does not work very well at all since they changed the formula…do not purchase any longer.

Ron May 1, 2018 at 1:04 pm

Since formula was changed this product now sucks since they changed the formula. Doesn’t work washes out when you shower and comes off on my towel when I dry my hair. Old formula was great It appears that they aren’t concerned about losing business because I have emailed them a couple of times.

Tigvet June 19, 2018 at 10:38 pm

I have been happy with the old formula, but the “new” formula which has no yellow sediment at the bottom of the bottle, does not work at all; i am looking into other products now; bummer- getting gray is bad enough!

Ron Prediger June 26, 2018 at 2:44 pm

The new formula does not work. Sorry to say good by Grecian it’s been a good 15 year run.

paul MacGregor July 3, 2018 at 4:03 pm

They changed the formula and this product doesn’t work at all; worthless; save your money; leaves stains; on you and your clothing

Charlie Robertson July 18, 2018 at 9:52 pm

I’m sure glad I looked here to confirm that Grecian isn’t working for me as it did in the past. Didn’t know they changed the formula which is the problem. Damn it, if it ain’t broke don’t fix it. Why did they change the formula and piss people off?

Enrique Garcia July 21, 2018 at 3:45 am

It used to work over the years but They recently diluted it. I bought one bottle at Walgreens and I thought you it came deffective so I bought another one at CVS. neither one does the job like they used to. The older ones used to turn a little yellow when you shake it. This one’s still look like 100% water even when shaken. I will never buy another one again so I’m looking for other available products

Enrique Garcia July 21, 2018 at 3:49 am

they changed the formula and it doesn’t work at all, you will be throwing your money away. I will never buy it again

Dennis Cherry July 21, 2018 at 2:16 pm

I loved it before the fomula changed, now it is complete utter garbage, waste of money.

Randy July 30, 2018 at 12:37 pm

I went to Combe website, the main company for Grecian formula and they don’t even list the product on their website. They also sell Just for Men which turned my hair a horrible color with a slight green tint!They have definitely done something to Grecian formula and must be planning on discontinuing it since it does not appear on the corporate website.

Rob August 2, 2018 at 4:52 pm

NOT Any More. They toldthe dim witted markering staff changed their formulaa It used to the one they sell in Europe, and it’s pretty ineffective

Chris September 8, 2018 at 5:10 pm

I’m trying to find out if this will still work as I go to the pool for swimming most days Thx

Bruce decker September 9, 2018 at 5:19 pm

The new dye based formula may or may not work on the hair, but it definitely works on the hairy part and the bald parts of my scalp. It rubs off with a towel and leaves a dark brown stain on the towel. I don’t know if the do-gooder consumerist saved my life, but I do know they screwed up an effective product.

P Concz October 5, 2018 at 5:51 pm

The old Formula was band in the USA by a consumers group that obviously were not users of the product because it had Lead Acetate that could POSSIBILITY harm us. The new product is just as everyone is complaining about. The original product I have used for 18 years once or twice a week and worked fine. The original product was banned in Canada and Europe and those men were purchasing from the USA. Increase the warning of POSSIBLE HARM and let us men make the decision on using it. The FDA test found no evidence of Lead in men’s blood. Bring back OUR PRODUCT NOW!!!

Gary Kleiman October 22, 2018 at 2:13 pm

I had been using the original formula of Grecian for about 15 years with wonderful results. About 15 mi this ago they changed the formula and now it stinks and it does nothing at all as all my grey came back. I wrote the company on several occasions to ask why they changed the formula and to let them know that the new formula does not work at all. After the 1st bottle of the new formula my hair turned gray within a week.
The manufacturer has never responded to any of my emails so I stopped using the product.

It is really too bad that screwed up the product because so many of us used it for so many years. The formula change is right up there with the time Coke changed their formula and the public went crazy demanding the original come back again.

I’m retired after over 40 years in Marketing and Advertising and I will never understand why some companies that have a winning product feel they need to fix something that doesn’t need fixing.

Phil November 29, 2018 at 3:20 am

Over the last 3 months I have used two full bottles of the Grecian 200 liquid and have been applying it every second to 3rd day and for the most part, my hair is still grey.
It does seem to work but not as they say.
For this stuff to work as any real benefit, you would have to use it every day I would think!